You can get to this part of the system by clicking on the Products link in the blue Admin Toolbar and then clicking Gift Cards on the right.
There are several areas in our system where you can work with Gift Cards. You can sell Gift Cards through your Point of Sale Register or through your website, and they can be used in either area by your customers for purchases. Here are some important points about the way our Gift Cards work:
- Gift Cards printed from our system have limited decoration and are extremely simple in appearance, but are perfectly serviceable.
- You can use any pre-printed Gift Cards you might want (more details below).
- You can order either cardstock or plastic gift cards with your logo on them through Divvy Systems. (You are not limited to this provider.)
- Gift Cards are not tied directly to any customer's account: They work like cash cards in our system, so whoever uses the card will get the credit for purchases made with the card.
- Gift Cards do not generate reward points and by default are set to not be eligible for discounts (you can adjust that latter option by going to the gear-shaped button on the far right side of the blue Admin Toolbar, go to Settings > POS Settings and in the General tab you'll see the option on the left).
- We use the term Gift Card universally in the system, but this would also apply to Gift Certificates, so if you prefer to work in that medium, this part of the system will work just fine for that.
Managing Your Gift Cards
Any Gift Cards you already have in place will be listed in the Gift Cards module, and you can view them and work with them by going to Products > Gift Cards. From the main screen you can Add New Gift Card: Please note, when using this feature, no actual money is put into your system for the Gift Card being created. So this function is ideal for re-creating cards that have already been paid for, or creating Gift Cards you use for promotional purposes or as compensation. For cards created this way, they will appear in the Gift Cards Outstanding report so that you can see your total outstanding liability in this area any time you might need. See below for details on how to sell Gift Cards.
You can click on any of the links for Issued, ID, etc. to open a panel with editable information on an individual Gift Card (see below). On the far right, you also have the ability to Delete any Gift Cards you no longer want to be active in the system. When you are looking at the data for an individual Gift Card, as pictured below, you are able to edit the Title, ID Number, and the Current balance on the card as needed. You can also Delete from that panel. Be sure to Save any changes you make once you're done.
Gift Card Settings
In the upper right of the main Gift Card screen, you can also set your Gift Card Settings. Here is a list of what you can do:
- Set a default Title for your Gift Cards. This title will appear as text already in place for any Gift Cards you might sell through your Point of Sale Register, and of course at the time of the card creation you can (and should) adjust the Title as needed. For all Gift Cards ordered through the Website module whatever you enter into this field will be the Gift Card title.
- You can, if you like, enter a Code Prefix for each Gift Card. For any cards created in our system, the codes will have your prefix appended before the code the system creates for the card. For example, if your store was called Don's Barbecue House and you wanted all of your gift cards to start with DONSBBQ, you might get a result like this: DONSBBQ1483723302806 when creating a new card.
- You can set whether the card will have an Expiration Date, and if so, how many months out it will be.
- For the web module (see more below), you can set the different Amounts your web customers can purchase on a Gift Card.
- Be sure to Save your settings when you're finished.
Selling Gift Cards Through the POS Register
You can easily sell gift cards of any amount through your Point of Sale Register. You don't have to have the customer's name in order to sell a gift card, all you need to do is click on the Gift Card link (see below).
When you click on Gift Card, a side panel will pop up and will have a new, unique Gift Card Code ready for you. If you have pre-printed card numbers or if you just want to use your own code, the number is already highlighted for you, so you can just scan in the new number or type it in. For the Gift Card Title, it is good to change it to something that relates to the situation, for example, Jenny's Birthday Present for Dad is a great title and will give you an alternate way to look the card up if necessary. Whatever Expiration Date you have set in your Gift Card Settings (see above) will display for reference, and you can put whatever dollar Amount you need on the card. You also have the ability to Print the card, if you like. This is good if you don't have any kind of pre-printed cards, but it is fairly simple in appearance, so it may be worth the investment to purchase pre-printed Gift Cards (see the link for Divvy Systems near the top of this page if you need a solution for printing your gift cards).
Selling Gift Cards Online
Your Gift Cards can be available for sale on your website 24/7 using our Gift Cards Module. First, you will need to make sure you have completed your Gift Card Settings (see section above). Once those are in place, click on the laptop icon on the left side of the blue Admin Toolbar to go to the edit view of your website's Home page, and go to the web page where you want the Gift Card selling module to appear. Find the triangle with the blue + in the upper left corner of the page and click to Add Body Content. In the list that comes up, go down to Gift Card and click the Add button. Your visitors will now be able to purchase Gift Cards directly from the site. All Gift Cards sold through the system can be used in the Point of Sale or in the website.