The POS Settings Tab
You can get to this part of the system by clicking on the gear icon on the right side of blue Admin Toolbar and then clicking Settings > POS Settings > Customer.
As you work on your settings, in each tab, you need to remember to click the Save button at the bottom of the screen before you move on to another tab or screen, or you will lose your work.
Reward Program Settings for Point of Sale
- Use Rewards - Turn your Rewards program on or off with this check box.
- Show Reward Points on Receipt - Checking this box will display on the receipt how many more points the customer needs to accumulate in order to earn to get a reward.
- Coupon Clerk Notification - When the customer earns a reward by completing a transaction, the system will pop up a notification for the sales clerk so the customer can be congratulated.
- Print Coupon on Receipt - If you want your customers to get a printed coupon every time they earn one, check this box. If it is not checked, the reward coupons will just be kept electronically for them by the system and they can use them whenever they like.
- Accrue Rewards on Discounted or Sale Items - If you want your customers to earn reward points on items with discounted pricing or in-register discounts, you can check this box.
- Accrue Rewards on Service Items - If you want your customers to earn reward points on Service items you sell through the Work Orders module, you can check this box.
- Show Outstanding Reward Coupons on Register Screen - Having this box check can be very useful for your sales clerks since whenever they load a customer into the Register they will immediately see if the customer has unused Reward Coupons in the system.
- Dollars Spent to Earn Reward - One way to determine this amount is to calculate the average purchase in your store, in this example it would be $40, and multiply that by ten to get the target amount a customer would need to spend in order to get a reward. This would be the equivalent of using a punch card with ten slots, but in an electronically automated format.
- Reward Amount - You don't need a large amount for your customer to feel rewarded! Some clients we work with set this amount to be 10% of the total from #8 above, but please remember that you are reducing your profit margins by whatever percentage of the total you do here, so a smaller amount is a good thing.
- Reward Expiration - This is one you should consider with care: It can establish a sense of urgency in the customer if they know the reward coupon they just earned will be expiring in a given time frame (Never, 15, 30, 60, 90, 180 days, or 1 year), but if they miss it by a few days and come in to discover that the system has deactivated their reward because it expired, that can be a bad experience.
Just know that if you choose the latter option, you can always go to POS > Customers, search for the customer and click on their name, then go to their Settings Tab, click on View Coupons and you'll have the option in there of creating a coupon for them to mollify any injured feelings.
Custom Data Fields for Customers
Customer Profile Organization
If you scroll down below the Rewards settings, you'll see the Customer Profile Organization area, and the different Sections that are already in place for you. Those default Sections include Contact Information, Address, and Other, and they cannot be deleted.
You are able to click on the blue pencil for any of them to add more fields, if you like. Here is an example of what is in the Contact Information section:
You'll notice that for any of the default Sections, you cannot edit the Section title, but you can drag the fields into whatever order you need. You are able to click the drop-list for a new input field of your choice, and you can add as many as you like. There are several types of data fields you can add:
Here are the different kinds of data fields you can add, and the kinds of information you might use them for:
PLEASE NOTE: It is extremely important that you DO NOT enter any sensitive information about a customer in any of these custom fields. They are not considered to be secure, since people in your organization will have access to the information. Things like social security numbers, passwords, or credit card information to name a few things should never be entered into this system. To keep our system secure, we reserve the right to remove any such data you may accidentally add to this area. This is for your protection and the protection of your customers.
1) A Text field allows you to enter text about a topic and save it for the customer. For example, you might list out hobbies, or enter payment preference, rental details, or really anything that would require you to write a few words.
2) A Numeric field will allow you to enter numbers only about some topic for the customer. For example, you could track the family size associated with a customer, age, shoe size, etc.
3) A Phone Number field will format the numbers for a phone number for your country, and can be for a Fax number, or some other special number not already in the list.
4) In a Dropdown you can specify a list of any number of options, and then pick one that would apply to the customer. For example, you could track their outdoor interests, or their skiing skill level if you do ski rentals, etc.
5) An Address input inserts fields for comprehensive address info, including fields for Street, Address, City, Zip, State, and Country, as seen in the example below. A business or company address is a common use for this field.
6) A Date field will allow you to click and choose a calendar date for whatever the date is about. For example, you could put in a date for the most recent class the customer attended, or a date for their ski season start.
Please note that after you add any custom fields you want, in the Edit Customer Profile Section panel you will need to click the Save button at the bottom. You will ALSO need to click the Save button at the bottom of the Customers tab of your POS Settings in order for those changes to be saved.
Here is how the above fields appear in the system for an example customer:
You can also create your own Sections from the Customer settings area. If you click the +New Section button. You can name the new section, for example, Club Membership, or Renter Info, or Quilter Info, etc. Then, as described above, you can add different types of Input fields in order to capture the information you need for the customer.
You can create any number of Sections you might need for different types of information, and everything you create will appear in a running list on the Details tab of each Customer. Here is what the above Section looks like in a Customer entry:
Any custom Sections or fields you make will be included in every Customer's Details tab, whether you use it for each customer or not.
Set Up Your QuickBooks Connector
You can get to this part of the system by clicking on the gear-shaped button on the right side of our blue Admin Toolbar, click Settings, then click POS Settings > QB Connect.
Our process for setting you up with the QB Connector feature begins with an appointment with a QuickBooks specialist who will walk you through the setup process. When you first look at this area, you'll see a notice warning you to save any other settings you might have changed, since the link for the QB setup will take you to a different part of the system. Here is a preview of the kind of data you can sync using the Desktop version of Quickbooks. You're also able to set how many days back you want the data to go, and whatever transaction dates you wish to work with. Your Quickbooks specialist will go into detail about how all of this works.
We also have the ability to connect with the Cloud version of Quickbooks, but it requires a third-party utility (that has a monthly fee) to facilitate the connection. You are also more limited on the kinds of data that can be synced. Here is a preview of the interface for the Cloud version:
We are planning an in-depth walk-through that will allow you to configure your own Quickbooks integration, if you like. For now, if you have further questions, please click here to go to our overview with some important information about what you can and cannot do with the Quickbooks Connector.
Save Your Work! Please note that after you have adjusted your settings, you need to find the green Save button at the bottom of the screen and click it or the system will not keep the changes you made!