If you have products with multiple sizes and/or colors or any other types of product styles, you can make products with any number of Options in every possible combination. Pay close attention to the rules below
You can get to this part of the system by clicking on the Products > New Product in the blue Admin Toolbar. You can also create new products by going to Products > Products > New Product or Products > Categories, click to the category you want, then click the New Product button.
How to Create Product Options
You'll start your product in the normal way, entering its Title first and setting up Department, Categories, and the other settings you need in the upper part of the Details tab. Down below in the gray box for Styles and Pricing, you can start creating your Options.
Begin by choosing your Location from the drop-list (if you have multiple locations). Click the + Add Option link and the Options panel will open. Think of your Option as a group of styles for your product. In this example, we're creating some Color styles for this winter jacket, so for the Option Title we entered 'Color.' The Option Values are the individual styles, in this case, the colors themselves. You can click the + Add Another Value link as many times as you need to create as many Option Values as the product requires. Click Save once you have all of your Option Values entered.
BE CAREFUL TO DOUBLE-CHECK YOUR SPELLING. As you create your Options and Option Values, make sure your spelling is correct. This is extremely important, because after you save the product the first time you cannot edit your Option titles or Option Value titles. Please note that saving the Option Values you create is not final and you still have the ability to edit the Option Value titles as well as the Option Title itself prior to clicking the Save Product button at the bottom of the page.
Here are some important features of the Options you create:
- Option Values - Your Option Title will appear in the left column (Color, in this case), and each of your Option Values will appear across the row in the order you entered them.
- Identifier Codes - We strongly recommend you give each individual Option Value a unique identifier. If each uses the same UPC, we recommend NOT using that to scan them in at the register (you'll have the entire drop-list of all of this product's Option Value combinations come up to choose from). We recommend either using a unique Manufacturer ID or SKU, or if they have unique UPC codes, that will work as well. For this example product, we clicked in the blank SKU box and a button pops up to Generate SKU, and we did that for the three Option Values.
- Product Info - Enter info such as Price, Inventory, and Weight in the normal way. Once you enter a price or some other value, a button will pop up that will allow you to Apply to All, basically copying and pasting it across the entire row for you.
- Option Image - You can load an image in for each Option Value column you've created. Whenever the item is loaded into the Register or selected from a drop-list on the website, that image will display. Images you load this way should follow the normal Product Image guidelines: they should be JPEG or PNG images of at least 600 pixels in their largest dimension. 800px to 1000px is best.
- Save Product - Once again, before you click this button, double-check that you have entered all of your Options and Option Values, that they are all spelled correctly, because you will not be able to change them after you save the product. You CAN add more Option Values, you just can't edit titles or delete them after they have been saved. Instead of deleting them, you will Deactivate any Option Values you no longer need.
This example was for one Option group, Colors. But what if we need more? What if we have an electrically heated version of this jacket as well as a regular one? And what about sizes? The Rain Retail system allows you to enter more Options as needed. In this example we are going to add Heating as an option as well as Size. The system will do every combination of those Option Values, so we will see Non-Heated jackets in every color at the smallest size, then Heated ones at that same size in all the colors, and on up through the sizes.
Here is an image showing all of the combinations mentioned above, and how they will show up in the product. Click the image to see the full spread of options:
Product Options in the Register
When working with products that have Options in the Register, the ideal situation is to have a unique barcode label for each different Option Value so you can scan it straight in. If you have only a single UPC for the whole family of options or if you enter a keyword, such as 'parka' below, you get something like this:
This product only has twenty-four different Option Values. Some of our clients work with products with over three hundred, so you can see how important it can be to get to the right Option Value fast when you have people waiting in line to check out.
Once you get the correct one in the Register, you'll see the full details about each Option Value in the product, as well as its image and other info.
Product Options in the Products Module
We've seen how the Edit Product screen handles your Product Options, the other main area of the Products Module where you will see them is under Products > Products from your blue Admin Toolbar. This module is more forgiving on searches than the Register. For example, if your product with Options has only a single UPC, or if you search for a keyword such as 'parka' below, you won't see line items for every possible Option Value combination, you will see only a single entry, and the number in blue on the left is the total number of Product Options for that product. The Quantity you see is the total number currently in stock across the entire family of Option Value combinations for that product.
Similarly, when you go to Products > Categories, and then click down through the categories until you can see the product, you will see only a single line item for that parent product.
Product Options on the Web Page
When you view a product with Options on the website, you'll see micro-thumbnail images below the main image for the Option Images you added, and the main image will change as you change the topmost Option group, in this case to a different color.
Product Options in Bulk by Spreadsheet
While it is possible to work with your product Options in bulk by spreadsheet, we highly recommend against it. In our testing it is faster to work with the creation of Options directly in the Products modules, as demonstrated above. For adding inventory, however, the Edit Existing Inventory spreadsheet can be a fast way to update inventory quantities and costs for your products with Options. If you need to add product Options in bulk, the video below demonstrates what you will need to know. It assumes that you know the basics of working with the bulk spreadsheet system already. If you do not yet know those basics, click here for more information.