Here is a short video showing you how you can manually add a product to the system:
Steps for Manually Creating a Product
If the product you want to enter is not in our Catalog, you will need to enter the information for it manually. This section contains an overview full details on how to enter data into each area of the product.
- Enter a Title - When creating a new product, this is actually the only required field. You can enter a price from the Register, if needed, but you will eventually want to enter the other information below, as needed.
- List Your Product - There are a couple of key areas for listing your product, the first is Availability, which you can set to Website only, Point of Sale only, or the default value, Both website and point of sale. You can also list the product in a Department (just one) and in as many Categories as you like. You can set how your product will list on the website by choosing whether or not to Show Price on Website, Show Add to Cart Button, or use Unlimited Inventory. Note that on the Reverb tab (if you are integrated) you can also list the product there if you wish to sell the product through that venue.
- Set Up for Ordering - You can set the Desired Inventory Level for the product so that whenever you do Purchase Orders, the system will know how much to order to get to your desired level.
- Add Identifiers - You can enter the UPC, Manufacturer Number, and SKU for your product, as well as Alternate Lookup codes or words to give you unique identifiers to help in searches and reporting for your products.
- Set Your Pricing - You can set the Price (retail), Sale Price, do the same for Website Price and Website Sale Price (if you have enabled that setting under Settings > POS > Products). You can also set Wholesale pricing if that is enabled (in the same Settings area).
- Enter Inventory Cost and Quantity - By clicking the Change link, you can open the Edit Inventory panel and either make a new batch entry of inventory, including the Secondary Cost of shipping, or you can click the Change Inventory tab and edit any existing batch line-item details. You can also access full details of past batch additions.
- Set Product Options - You can create product Options, such as Size and Color, with as many Option Values (e.g. size numbers/letters, color names) as you need. Each option will have its own column with fields for unique ID Numbers, Prices, and Inventory quantities. Be sure to double-check your spelling on the option titles, you will not be able to edit them after you have saved the product for the first time.
- Add Images - Your main product images will go on the Images tab. If you have created product Options, each option column has a place for an Option Image, as well. Product images should be JPEG or PNG files and should be smaller than 4mb in file size and less than 2000 pixels in their largest dimension. Your images should be a minimum of 600 pixels, with 800px to 1200px as an ideal range, for the image's largest dimension.
- Enter Descriptions - Your Short Description should be plain text (formatting such as bold/italics, bullet points, font styles will not display) and 256 characters or less, including spaces and punctuation. Your Long Description is your chance to make your product stand out from the competition, so whenever possible add ample descriptive text, additional images, links to download or informational pages (be sure to set them to open in a new window), and even embedded YouTube videos. You can also enter small content in the Brief Description Below Add-to-Cart Button editor, to provide useful content there, and if you're selling wholesale, you can enter a Wholesale Description that will only be seen by website Members who are logged into their site account.
- Set Advanced Options - You can set Eligibility for Reward Points and Discounts, if not already determined by the Department. You are also able to set the product as being a Kit, if you plan to add component parts to it in the Kit Builder. If you need to adjust Tax Rates that apply to the product, you can check any/all that might be relevant. You are also able to set a product to be a Digital Download (be sure to also indicate this in the product's Title) and choose the file, up to 100mb in size. If you need feedback from the customer about the item, such as text for embroidery or engraving, you can create feedback Form Fields. If you want to save some of your inventory for in-store sales so that you don't sell out from website sales, you can set an Offline Reserve quantity that will not display on the website. You are also able to set the product to be a Wait List item, if it is something that is on the way and you want to build a Wait List to gauge interest (results will be visible in the Wait Lists report). And to increase your marketing efforts on the site, be sure to list Suggested Products to give your shoppers ideas for other items in which they may be interested.
- Save the Product - You can click Save to finalize your changes. Or, if you will be doing another product very similar to the one you just finished, you can click Save and Duplicate to save the current one and open a copy of it to use as a template for the next one. Finally, you can click Save and New if you'll be doing another product that is not similar or that you're adding from the Catalog.
To see more detailed instruction on creating products manually, please click here for the full-length article.