The Rain bulk product management system is currently facilitated by spreadsheet uploads. These spreadsheets need to be in the most basic spreadsheet format, CSV (comma separated values), which is a data file type that any spreadsheet program can open. Because of its simple data format, you cannot have special formatting, such as formatted text (bold, italic, bullet points, etc.) or macros in the saved files. For more information on how to work with spreadsheets in our system, please click here. It is strongly recommended that you read the linked article before you start working with this part of the system, due to the technical nature of this kind of work.
Here is a short video showing you how to add products to the system by spreadsheet:
Steps for Adding Products in Bulk
- Go to Products > Bulk.
- In the Spreadsheets drop-list, click on Add New Products.
- Click the Download link to the right, then open the file in your spreadsheet program. If you do not have a spreadsheet program, you can use the app built into Google Docs if you have a Google account. You can also download Open Office, which includes a very capable spreadsheet program, and the whole suite is free from openoffice.org.
- When you open the spreadsheet, you will see only the first row has header titles for each column, and there is not yet any other data in the spreadsheet. If you see product data below row 1, you have opened a previous Add New Products spreadsheet, and you need to close it and open the new download. If you work from an older file, you risk duplicating products.
- You are required to enter one or more Category IDs (Column A: it will be a number, and you can see your list by clicking View Category IDs on the Products > Bulk page). You're also required to enter a Product Title and Short Description. The other fields will either set themselves to default values or the data can be added later, manually. See the reference key below for info about the different columns of the spreadsheets, what data needs to be entered, and more details including examples.
- You will likely want to enter ID Numbers, such as SKU, UPC, and/or Manufacturer ID. Also, you can enter your Price information and the Cost that you pay per unit so that data is in the system from the start. You will also want to enter your starting Inventory for the products so that is in the system from the beginning. For the other columns, you can go to whatever level of detail you like, specifics are below in the reference key if you need more information.
- Save your spreadsheet, and you will want to keep it in CSV format. If working in Excel, it will pop up a warning indicating that you will lose advanced functionality if you save to CSV and are you sure you want to save in that format. Always click Yes to that warning.
- Go back to Products > Bulk and in the Spreadsheet list, click Add New Products, then click Upload. Find the file you saved to your computer, and click the Upload button. The system will tell you the file has been uploaded successfully once it is done.
NOTE: It is a good idea to keep your uploads to 3,000 line items or less. The system may time out if you upload more than that at once.