I have set my paper size properly in the printer driver, but whenever I print from Firefox it uses the wrong size! How can I set it to use the correct size?
PLEASE NOTE: The About:Config area of Firefox allows you to control how it interacts with your printers. Be very careful to only change the settings we recommend, proceed with caution in researching and making any other changes!
Also note that prior to this step, you need to have the paper settings properly configured in the printer driver, OR THIS WILL NOT WORK. If you are working with a Star receipt printer, click here. If you are working with an Epson receipt printer, click here. If you are working with a Dymo label printer, click here. And click here if you are working with a Zebra label printer. These links will all open in a new window so you can come back to this article later.
Here are the steps to set your default paper size for a printer in Firefox:
- In a blank Firefox window, in the Address Bar where you enter website URLs (NOT in the smaller Search field on the right), enter the following: about:config
Then hit your Enter key. You will see the following warning:
- This statement is misleading, and it's kind of a little joke by the team at Mozilla, the makers of Firefox. Firefox has no warranty to void, and while it does offer control of how it interacts with your other hardware, there isn't anything in there that could possibly void a computer warranty or a warranty on a printer. We recommend that you click to un-check the Show This Warning Next Time box and then click the I Accept the Risk button.
- Next, enter the following in the Search area to get to the default printer setting for Firefox: print.printer (please note, this is different from the above command for default printer, print_printer, so they are easy to confuse).
- You will see a list of all printers used by Firefox. Scroll down until you find the exact model you want to work with for setting paper size. Please note that you may have multiple copies of the same printer, so you need to find the same exact one, for example, Epson T88 V copy 2 might be the one you actually prefer to print from.
- In the image above, you can see the three areas we will be resetting: paper height, paper width, and there is a chance you will want to reset your paper size unit. In the example above, our Epson printer uses millimeters instead of inches for paper size, but the settings are currently in inches. For paper_size_unit, the setting is currently at 0, which is for inches, so it will need to be reset.
- Right-click the number in the Value column for paper_height and in the popup menu, click Reset. You will see the number blank out.
- Right-click the number in the Value column for paper_width and in the popup menu, click Reset. You will see the number blank out.
- If you need to reset the paper size unit, right-click the number in the Value column for paper_size_unit and in the popup menu, click Reset. You will see the number blank out.
- Now that everything needed is reset, we need to do a follow up print to update the settings from the printer driver. So go to the Rain system and print to the exact printer model you just reset. Here is an example:
- Last, we need to go into the Firefox settings again and make sure the browser knows to always look at the driver settings, so once again, go back into about:config, and this time, in the Search line, enter the following: print.save_print_settings
- In the Value column, right-click on the word true and in the popup menu, click Toggle. You will see the value change to false.