Here is how to transfer your domain to GoDaddy from your current registrar. At the time of this writing, this service costs $8.17 and will add a year to the registry of your domain. This process can take several days and will take longer the slower your current registrar is to reply to the transfer request, so it is a good idea to do this at least 7 to 10 days before you plan to go live with your website.
Transferring Your Domain Name
- Contact your existing domain registrar and ask them to unlock the domain for transfer. It may also be wise to ask them to send you the Authorization code; usually this is something their system will automatically send to you as part of the transfer process, but it can’t hurt to cover your bases on this.
- If you do not already have a GoDaddy account, follow the steps below to create one through this process.
- Go to http://www.GoDaddy.com and mouse-over the Domains tab on the far left of the navigation bar. Click on Transfer Domain.
- Enter the domain name you are transferring (e.g. mycompany.com) into the large search area on the page, if it is available it will tell you.
- Click the Go button, then if it is unlocked for transfer you will be able to click the Proceed to Checkout button.
- Most clients register for one year at a time, GoDaddy sometimes offers discounts for multiple years. You DO NOT need to certify your domain. Select the number of years you want to register, and make sure that Keep the Existing Nameservers is selected and then click Next.
- You do not need Privacy unless you are worried about receiving spam email or junk snail-mail at the respective addresses you entered in your account information. You don’t need the Protected registration at all unless you’re worried about missing a payment, and GoDaddy will be contacting you repeatedly about that. The privacy service prevents you from being directly contacted by anyone but GoDaddy about your domain. It is not something you need, but will cut down on your junk mail. If you do not get the Privacy protection you will occasionally get junk email from aggressive minor registrar companies trying to trick you into switching to their service from GoDaddy. You can safely delete any such email from anyone but GoDaddy and not get the Privacy upgrade just fine. Most of our clients do this. Click Next (We recommend using only the Standard Registration)
- We offer free business email setup facilitated by Live.com that will give you up to as many email addresses as you might need (e.g. email@example.com), so there is no need for GoDaddy’s email setup. Our service provides your hosting and all transactions are secure, so you do not need an SSL Certificate. Click Next
- You will see a summary of your order and some marketing for things you really don’t need, we recommend just clicking Continue to Checkout.
- If you are an existing customer, you can enter your login information at this point and finish out the order, if not, see the next steps.
- Fill out the Account Information and Login Information and then find your Customer ID Number and write it down as well as the password and Call-In Pin that you choose. We will need this login information when we deploy the website. After you check out and complete your order, please email your Customer ID number and password to your Account Manager so that we will have that info available when it comes time to take your site live. Click Continue to Checkout and finalize your order.
- Log into your GoDaddy account and click on the My Account tab on the far right of the navigation bar.
- Click the Launch button for the Domains section. A separate window will open with a listing of the domains in your account, if any.
- In the upper left, mouse-over the Domains tab and in the drop-list click on Pending Transfers.
- Click the checkbox for the domain you are transferring and on the far right click the Authorize Transfer button.
- You will be prompted to enter the codes you have been emailed and then authorize the transfer, it is best to copy and paste these codes since they almost always include strings of special characters and a single typo will foul the whole process. At this point we will be waiting on the old registrar to complete the transfer, this part of the process usually takes at least 48 hours and can take several days, depending on your old registrar.
- When the transfer is complete, GoDaddy will email you notification about it. As soon as that happens, please notify us so that we can proceed.