Here is how to reserve your domain in GoDaddy. It will cost around $12 per year to maintain the registry of your domain and that is separate from your website hosting service with us. Your domain name is your online identity and is a corporate asset, it is your intellectual property and it is always best to maintain control of it.
Reserving a New Domain Name
- Go to http://www.GoDaddy.com and enter the domain name you want (e.g. mycompany.com) into the large search area on the home page, if it is available it will tell you.
- Click the Add button, then the green Continue to Registration button.
- Click the No Thanks button unless you really want multiple domains (.net, .org, etc.: for most organizations the .com is the only important one).
- Enter information into the Create Your Domain Registration area; you do not need to get a new email address from GoDaddy, we will be creating that for you. Click Next when done.
- Most clients register for one year at a time, GoDaddy sometimes offers discounts for multiple years. You DO NOT need to certify your domain. Select the number of years you want to register for and click Next.
- You do not need Privacy unless you are worried about receiving spam email or junk snail-mail at the respective addresses you entered in your account information. You don’t need the Protected registration at all unless you’re worried about missing a payment, and GoDaddy will be contacting you repeatedly about that. The privacy service prevents you from being directly contacted by anyone but GoDaddy about your domain. It is not something you need, but will cut down on your junk mail. If you do not get the Privacy protection you will occasionally get junk email from aggressive minor registrar companies trying to trick you into switching to their service from GoDaddy. You can safely delete any such email from anyone but GoDaddy and not get the Privacy upgrade just fine. Most of our clients do this. Click Next (We recommend using only the Standard Registration)
- As mentioned above, we offer free business email setup facilitated by Live.com that will give you up to as many business email addresses as you might need (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org), so there is no need for GoDaddy’s email setup. Our service provides your hosting and all transactions are secure, so you do not need an SSL Certificate. Click Next
- Fill out Billing Information (sometimes it does not copy over from what you entered earlier) and when you get your Customer ID Number write it down as well as the password and Call-In Pin that you choose. We will need the login information when we deploy the website. After you check out and complete your order, please email your Customer ID number and password to your Account Manager so that we will have that info available when it comes time to take your site live.