Congratulations, you have a shiny new website, your basic pages have been built, maybe we're working on moving your products over from your old system, and all this is great, right? So what's next? What do you do now?
Just looking at anything new and complex like the Rain system can be intimidating, so the best approach is going to be taking it in bite-sized pieces. Here are some options for you on things you should be focusing on from day one:
- Start with the Basics - Learn the fundamentals of working with your website content. This is simple stuff: the Support team and I teach this to clients every day, many of whom aren't good with computers at all. If you can use a simple word processor, like the text editor in Gmail, Hotmail, etc, you can pick up the basics in five to ten minutes. Begin by clicking here!
- Let Us Help - One of the first things you should do is log into the system and try out what you learn in the basic overview videos. For any questions that come up for you, jot them down and then give your Account Manager a call. We will walk you through the initial stuff you need to know, answer questions as they come up, and help you get off on the right foot. You have unlimited support for life with us--a practice we are very proud of--and we want you to use it! You can schedule work and training sessions as needed and you can call or email us as often as you like so we can help with questions or issues. Call 385-404-6200 if you have not yet set up your initial training appointment.
- Know the Game Plan - If we are working on migrating data over from your old system, or if you will be entering all of your data yourself, understanding time frames is crucial at this point. If we're moving everything over for you and you haven't yet been contacted about that, you are on our list to call, but you can hurry the process along by contacting Account Manager directly to discuss moving forward with your migration. We want to work with you at a pace that works for you, so don't be afraid to get the ball rolling!
- Dive Right In - Being active with the system from the start is important! We have worked with thousands of clients, and the ones that succeed are the ones that jump in and get busy. If you let the system sit, or if you don't make time to work on it, you may some day wake up and discover that months have gone by and you haven't done anything with the website. To ensure that you're not wasting your time or money, the best thing is just to put time on your daily calendar to work with the system. Doing just a little work every day can make a big difference!
Here are some questions you should be asking yourself at this point, if we haven't already answered them for you:
- How do I log into the system? If you have not yet been sent your login information, it may be because your website has not yet been built. If you are doing a custom design with us, you'll see a blank framework we use prior to building out your custom site. If your site has been built, your login information will be sent to the email address we have on file for you. If you haven't received it yet, call your Account Manager or you can call us at 385-404-6200 and we can help you log in and also show you how to easily set up login accounts for other members of your team who will need access.
- How soon can the new site go live? Don't wait until your content is perfect: that will never happen! As a general rule, you should have us take your site live as soon as it is as good or slightly better than your old site, if you have one. If this is your first website, you should have us take you live immediately. You want your site live as soon as possible so you can begin building your search results with the major search engines. Here is the information we will need to take your site live:
- We need your login information for whatever company your website domain is registered with (e.g. Godaddy, Network Solutions, etc.). We need the nameservers changed to our servers, and we can take care of that for you. If you would rather do that yourself, we can send you the nameserver information to change, but it is a fairly technical process to do so, just let us know what you prefer.
- We need to know your preferences on business email. As part of our service, we currently provide setup of free business email through a web service called Zoho. We don't know how much longer we will be able to do this (the industry has been moving away from free business email for years, with major companies like Gmail and Live.com dropping their free services) but for now, Zoho still offers up to twenty-five free email addresses if you want them. Business email is generally considered to be more professional than using a generic email address: you will make a better impression if your email messages come from firstname.lastname@example.org than if they come from email@example.com, for example. Let your Account Manager know what email addresses you might want and what the first and last name of the person using each address will be. If you already have business email, we can either let you keep it right where it is, or we can move you over to Zoho. Just let your Account Manager know your preference.
- If you are wanting to launch your online store, at present you need to have either a free business PayPal account, and/or an account with an integrated processing solution (ask your Account Manager about our integrated processing). You can learn how to set up your PayPal account by clicking here. If you are interested in using Transnational, your Account Manager can begin that process for you, just let us know. You will also need your shipping settings entered into the system. To learn how to set up shipping, please click here.
Coming Up Next: