Configuring Your POS Settings
In this step you will learn how to adjust the settings for your Point of Sale system for things such as employee notifications in the Register, information that prints on receipts, and your barcode label printing preferences.
Set Up Your Tills
You can get to this part of the system by clicking the gear-shaped button on the right side of our blue Admin Toolbar, click Settings, then scrolling down past your company information to the blue Tills button. NOTE: You will want to verify that the Company Information is correct on that main page. The system refers to that information for what it prints on receipts and work order tickets. If you have multiple locations set up, each location will have its own sections, so be sure to make any needed changes or additions and go to the bottom of the page and click the green Save button.
When you click the blue Tills button, your list of current Tills will pop up. Till is a synonym for 'cash register' and is basically any unique device (e.g. computer or tablet) or purchasing mode (e.g. tax exempt, trade show) you might need for the way you do business. You can click on any till in the list to open and edit its title, if you like. You can click the green Add Till button to create a new till in the system.
When adding a new till, or editing an existing one, all you need to do is enter the Name that you want. The Printer Margins below are actually no longer active in the system, so please disregard them.
You can get to this part of the system by clicking on the gear-shaped button on the right side of our blue Admin Toolbar, click Settings, then click POS Settings.
The General POS Settings Tab
- Admin Email - This is the email address that will be the 'From' address for receipts and notifications that are emailed to customers from your point of sale.
- Timezone - Choose your time zone, all world regions are listed.
- Prompt for User PIN - Check this box if you want the system to keep track of each employee who does a transaction. Whenever a new transaction is started, a prompt will come up to enter the User PIN code. This is also how the system knows what User Permissions are enabled for each employee. You can click here to learn how to set up your employee User accounts and Group Permissions.
- Gift Card Discount Eligibility - Do you want customers to have the option of discounting the purchase price of a Gift Card? Most clients of ours do not enable this option, since you are essentially giving away money, but others like to have that option. Check the box if you want your gift cards to have the option of being sold at a discount. NOTE: If this box is checked, and a Global Discount is applied to a transaction in which a Gift Card is being purchased, that Gift Card will also have that discount applied.
- Allow More Than One Coupon Per Transaction - This function is about your Reward Coupons. If you want a customer who has earned multiple reward coupons to be able to use as many as they like on a given transaction, check this box.
- Show Pre-Tax Subtotal in the Till - If pre-tax amounts are important to you for tax purposes, you will want to check the box to turn this option on. This information can be useful in other ways as well, for example, the Reward Points earned on a transaction are based on the pre-tax / post-discount subtotal, so displaying that amount will help reward points make more sense to your customers.
- Show the Previous Transaction in the Till - This is a great feature if you find yourself needing to re-print a receipt or if you get distracted and forget how much change a customer is due. This message displays on the register screen right after you send your receipt to be printed.
- Clerk Notification Text - This is a message for your sales clerks. It will always appear on the screen they see just before starting a new transaction. There's no limit to how much text you can put in this area, and it's a great place to remind them of upcoming events and sales, and just anything of which you need them to keep mindful.
- Customer Name - You can choose whether or not the customer's name prints out on the receipt. Some clients consider this an identity theft risk or at least a privacy concern, so it was made an option.
- Print Customer Message on Receipt - This checkbox allows you to turn your Customer Message on or off, if there are situations when you know you won't want it to print out.
- Store Copy: Signature Only - For signature transactions, do you really need the store copy to show all of the transaction details, or do you just need the final amount and basic details? Turning this on can save you a lot of paper throughout a year!
- Customer Receipt Message - This area offers unlimited room for plain text only (no formatting things like fonts, bold/italics, etc.) for you to provide information to your customers on your return and exchange policies, upcoming specials and events, and ideally a warm welcome back to visit you again. This content will print below everything else in the receipt.
Barcode Print Settings
- Print Price on Barcode - For items that have prices that fluctuate often, it might be wise to turn those prices off before printing the barcode label and just post the price on a sign you can change at need. Turn it back on again for items with fixed pricing.
- Print Company Name on Barcode - If you would like your company name on all barcode labels to make sure returns and exchanges are coming from your actual inventory, turn this option on.
Save Your Work! Please note that after you have adjusted your settings, you need to find the green Save button at the bottom of the screen and click it or the system will not keep the changes you made!