You can get to this part of the system by clicking on Website in the blue Admin Toolbar and then clicking Files.
Files in your system include every image you've ever uploaded to the server (these will all be under the Images folder in the Files section) and every kind of document file you've uploaded, such as PDF files and perhaps Word files. The system can link to files so that your visitors can download them, as we do with PDF files, or in the case of images, it can display them on your pages wherever you need them and at whatever size you need them. The Files part of the system allows you to upload and manage your files, and you can upload documents and general files up to 100mb in size. Images will upload if they are less than 3000 pixels and less than 4mb in size.
Managing Your Files
You can create folders if you need to organize larger numbers of files. For your files, you might want to organize your Product image files into folders based on the categories of products you have, or just by manufacturer, whatever works best for you. This is not necessary, but can help you get to an image more quickly if you can't remember the product title or if the image doesn't have that in the file name.
You can also work with the folders by using the pop-up menu for them (see the image above). To access this menu, if you are a Windows user, simply right-click on the folder you want to work with. If you are a Mac user, Ctrl+Click will pop it up for you. You can do any of the following things from the pop-up menu:
- Edit - You can change the folder name with this function, this option appears only if you created the folder (system folders show the options you see in the image above).
- Upload File - You can upload any file directly to this folder with this option.
- New Folder - You can create a sub-folder under the current folder with this option.
- Delete - You can delete the current folder with this option as long as it is a folder you created. As with all system deletions, you will be asked to confirm that you really want to delete the folder before the system will do so. If there are any sub-folders under the currently selected folder, they will not be deleted, but instead will move up to the same level as the currently selected folder that you are deleting.
Working With Files
Here are the features of our File Browser:
- Upload File - Click this to launch our File Uploader (see below) to load up to 500 files at once.
- New Folder - Creates a new folder under the current one. You will be prompted to enter the title of the new folder and then you can save it and begin loading loading files.
- Select - Clicking on the image or file name will load the image if you are working in a content module and loading the file onto one of your pages or if you are linking to it (all applications use this same interface). Under Website > Files > Images, clicking on an image won't do anything, but clicking on its file name below will let you edit the name, if you need to.
- File URL - For creating or sharing links to a file or image, you can highlight and copy the full URL.
- Delete - If you move your mouse over any image, you will see the Delete button appear. As with all deletions, a warning will pop up to make sure you really want to delete the item. When working with Documents, the delete button is an X on the far right side of the document's title bar.
- Sort - By default, the file browser will show the latest files uploaded first. This is convenient, because whenever you upload new files, they will always be at the top of the list. You can click to have it sort alphabetically instead, if you prefer.
Our File Uploader is a big time saver for you, allowing you to upload any number of documents or images at once, up to five-hundred at a time. Here are the features of the Uploader:
Add Files - Search your computer and either double click on a file you want to add to the upload list, or you can select multiple files in the same folder and add them all at once. Click this button again to add files from other locations on your computer, as many as you need. You can also drag and drop files, either individually or as a selected group, directly into this window to add them to the upload list.
Start Upload - When you can see all of the files you plan to upload in the list, click this button to begin the upload. You will see progress bars for each file individually as well as an overall progress bar for the entire upload. Once it is finished, the Uploader will close, and you will see your files at the top of the list in their folder.
Cancel - If you accidentally added an item to the upload list that you do not need to upload, you can clear it from the list with this button.
Productivity Tip: If you know you will be working with a large number of files during your work session, upload all of them at once before you start your work so they will all be at the top of the list.