The POS Settings Tab
You can get to this part of the system by clicking on the gear icon on the right side of blue Admin Toolbar and then clicking Settings > POS Settings. The General tab will be highlighted.
As you work on your settings, in each tab, you need to remember to click the Save button at the bottom of the screen before you move on to another tab or screen, or you will lose your work.
General Settings for Point of Sale
The General tab allows you to configure notifications and settings in your Register, as well as options for how your receipts print for transactions and how your barcode labels will print.
General Register Settings
- Admin Email - Enter your Admin Email; this will be the From address for emailed receipts and notifications that come from the Register.
- Timezone - Set your Timezone so time and date on the receipts and in your Register will be correct for your area.
- Prompt for User PIN - In the Register, if you are needing to see the name of the sales clerk for each transaction, you will want to have the Prompt for User PIN on Every Transaction box checked. For this to work, each employee will need a User account (under the gear-shaped button and Users) and a PIN code saved. This is also how the system knows what User Permissions are enabled for each employee. You can click here to learn how to set up your employee User accounts and Group Permissions.
- Disable Register Beep - Under normal operation, the Register will give a beep every time you add an item. You can check the box to Disable Beep When Product Is Added to Register, if you like.
- Gift Card Discount Eligibility - As a normal matter of course, gift cards work like cash in your store, so when selling them, most shops do not discount the gift cards themselves, but instead, encourage customers to buy discounted items with the gift cards. Even so, if you are running a promotion and wish to sell discounted gift cards, check the box to make Gift Cards Eligible for Transaction Discounts.
- Service Discounts - If you normally do not discount services your perform, check the box that says Do Not Discount Services.
- Reward Coupon Management - The Rewards program generates dollar-amount discount coupons that can be used for purchases in the Register. In some cases, customers may accumulate multiple coupons, and if you prefer they only use one per transaction, you can leave blank the box that says Allow More Than One Coupon Per Transaction.
- Pre-Tax Subtotal - You can click to Show the Pretax Subtotal in the Register, if that information is important to the way you do business.
- Show the Previous Transaction in the Till - This is a great feature if you find yourself needing to re-print a receipt or if you get distracted and forget how much change a customer is due. This message displays on the register screen right after you send your receipt to be printed. It will display until you start the next transaction.
- Confirm Transaction Cancellation - Check the Confirm When Cancelling Transactions box if you want another layer of security to prevent accidental transaction deletion. Whenever a transaction is in progress, if this is on and someone clicks the Cancel button for a transaction, a confirmation prompt will pop up to make sure the sales clerk truly wants to cancel the transaction.
- Customer Verification - If you have a lot of customers with similar names, it might make sense to turn on the Verify Customer Details option. This will open a panel with important customer information any time you load a customer into the register, just to help you make sure you have the right one.
- Require Signature Minimum Amount - If you have a preference on the amount at which you would need a signed receipt for a transaction, you may enter the dollar amount in the Require Signature for Card Transactions Over This Amount field. You do not need to enter a dollar sign, just the number.
- Clerk Notification Text - This is a message for your sales clerks. It will always appear on the screen they see just before starting a new transaction. There's no limit to how much text you can put in this area, and it's a great place to remind them of upcoming events and sales, and just anything of which you need them to keep mindful.
- Customer Name - You can choose whether or not to Print Customer Name on Receipt. Some clients consider this an identity theft risk or at least a privacy concern, so it was made an option.
- Print Customer Message on Receipt - This checkbox allows you to turn your Customer Message on or off, if there are situations when you know you won't want it to print out.
- Store Copy: Signature Only - For signature transactions, do you really need the store copy to show all of the transaction details, or do you just need the final amount and basic details? Turning this on can save you a lot of paper throughout a year!
- Customer Receipt Message - This area offers unlimited room for plain text only (no formatting things like fonts, bold/italics, etc.) for you to provide information to your customers on your return and exchange policies, upcoming specials and events, and ideally a warm welcome back to visit you again. This content will print below everything else in the receipt.
Barcode Label Print Settings
- Print Price on Barcode - For items that have prices that fluctuate often, it might be wise to turn those prices off before printing the barcode label and just post the price on a sign you can change at need. Turn it back on again for items with fixed pricing.
- Serialized Price - If you don't want prices on your serialized inventory items, you can leave the Print Price for Serialized Items un-checked.
- Regular Price - If you want your barcode labels to only show the standard retail price, check the Print Regular Price, Ignore Sales box. Since sale prices are often temporary, this might be wise to leave active.
- Print Company Name on Barcode - If you would like your company name on all barcode labels to make sure returns and exchanges are coming from your actual inventory, turn this option on.
- Bin Location - If you use product Bin Locations, you can have that information print on the barcode labels for your products by activating the function here.
Save Your Work! Please note that after you have adjusted your settings, you need to find the green Save button at the bottom of the screen and click it or the system will not keep the changes you made!