How to Process Special Orders
In this step you will learn how to process special orders in your Point of Sale system for specialty items you need to order.
You can create Special Orders by going to your Register by either clicking the Cash Register button in the upper left of the blue Admin Toolbar, or by clicking POS in the blue Admin Toolbar, then clicking the Register button.
Important Note: Special Orders in the Rain system utilize our Purchase Order system to process the order. These functions are tied together in the system, and you cannot complete a Special Order without sending a Purchase Order and then finishing a Receiving Order for the inventory. If you just need to have the system track that a customer wants a certain product, you can create a Quote from the Register (add the Customer to the Register, add what they want to order to the Register, click any of the Customer Actions buttons in the upper right, and click the blue + for Quotes). You can access the Quote every time you load the Customer into the Register, as it is permanently saved there.
Creating Special Orders
To start a new Special Order, go to your Register and first load the Customer. Once they are displaying, go to the upper right and click on any of the Customer Actions icons (Special Orders is the one that looks like a ticket on the far right).
The Customer Actions panel will open, and you can find Special Orders a short way down the list. To create a new one, click the blue + button.
The Add Special Order panel will open and you can begin creating the Special Order:
- Store Location - If you have multiple locations, be sure you are set to the proper one.
- Vendor - When you click to select the Vendor, you can either choose one from the list of active Vendors you've recently ordered from just by clicking on the Vendor Name. You can Search for any Vendor that is saved in your system, or you can click the + button to create a new Vendor.
- Deposit - In order to start your Special Order, you must put in a Deposit value, even if that number is 0. Whatever amount you put in this field will be added to the Register to be paid by the customer right away to start the Special Order.
- Special Order Item - You can add only one item to a Special Order, but your customer can order whatever Quantity is needed. You can also apply a Discount to the item, or Delete it from the order if you got the wrong one. Note: You cannot adjust the item Price in here, if you need it in the Special Order at a different price, edit the product in the Products module and save it before starting your special order.
- Add to Register - This button will save your Special Order and load the Deposit as a line item into the Register for you so the customer can pay your deposit.
Once the Deposit appears in the Register, if there is an amount due, the customer can pay for it in the normal way. If there is no amount due, the system will allow you to print out a Receipt for the customer so they have a record of having started the Special Order with you.
At this point, your new Special Order is in Draft status, which means it is ready to be added to a Purchase Order. You can see all of your Special Order Drafts by going to POS > Special Orders. You'll also be able to see your other Special Orders. You can click on the Special Order ID, the Item Title, or the Customer Name to open and view the item in the Special Order panel. You can click the Draft status for the order to start a new Purchase Order with the item and Vendor already loaded. This is a great option if you know you don't need to add multiple special orders to the same Purchase Order.
The other way to add your Special Order to a Purchase Order is to go to Inventory > New Purchase Order, and select the Vendor. Any Drafts associated with that Vendor will pop up in an Existing Drafts panel, and you can click on the PO Number to add them to the Purchase Order. Then, if you have other Special Orders that are not associated with a Vendor, a panel will pop up and list those for you. You can click the Add button for any you might want to order from the Vendor in question.
Once you have the Special Order item(s) in the new Purchase Order, you'll notice they are clearly identified. You can adjust whatever you might need for Quantity and the Cost you expect to pay. You can add other items as needed to the Purchase Order in the normal way, for more details on how to complete your Purchase Order and how to do a Receiving Order once the shipment comes in, please click here.
Once you receive the inventory in a Receiving Order, the Special Order will once again separate from the PO/RO, meaning it will be visible under POS > Special Orders, and the other inventory that you received in that Receiving Order will be visible there for reference, if needed.
Once the inventory has been received, if you load the Customer into the Register and click on any of the Customer Actions icons in the upper right, you will have the ability for the Customer to Pick Up the item and finish the purchase.