The Bulk Actions function allows you to edit product details, print labels, and export/import large quantities of products in bulk. Using this feature, you can adjust things like Price, Availability, Category, etc, for a large number of products at once. This becomes especially useful when editing recently added products from one of our many Vendor Catalogs.
To begin, go to Products > Products, search for the product(s) you want, then click the checkbox(es) next to item(s) you want to select. At the top of the checkbox column, you can click to Select All. If you have multiple pages of products in your active search, you'll be offered the chance to Select All Results, and the system will show you how many products you have selected at that point. For more information on using the Product page Filters, click here.
Helpful Tip: Use Product Filters to help sort the items you want to edit!
This feature has three primary components:
To print labels in bulk, select the products for which you want to print labels then click the Bulk Actions button. From the drop-list, click Print Labels, choose your label size and quantity, and then click Print or Print Preview at the bottom.
To edit products in bulk, select the products you want to adjust, then click the Bulk Actions button and click Edit Products from the drop-list. Most of the product details will be available in the panel that comes up, and the quantity of the items you are editing will be visible at the top.
To start, click on the item you want to adjust, input your desired changes, and click the Save button. You can add as many items as you want before applying any changes, but we recommend that you try them one at a time until you get used to how they work. The changes will NOT be saved until you click the Update Products button.
It's a good idea when trying new Bulk Edit changes to try it out first with a single product to make sure it does what you think. Once you're sure of how it will work, applying the same edit to large numbers of products will be safe.
When making bulk product edits to more than fifty products at once, the system will display a status notice for you to let you know how the work is going. Some bulk edits can take a while for the system to fully process, so the notice is there to let you know how it's coming along.
Important Notice: Bulk changes cannot be undone so changes should be considered carefully before applying.
Some items have additional options:
- Subcategories will be displayed with the main category shown underneath.
- Sub-departments will be displayed with a hyphen (-) next to the title, indicating it is a sub-department of the item above it.
- The following product settings can be increased/decreased by a percentage amount or assigned a set value: Reorder Point, Reorder Amount, Default Cost, Price, Sale Price, Wholesale Price, Web Retail Price, Web Sale Price, and Weight.
This is done by clicking the drop-list next to the item name and clicking the appropriate option. In order to use a percentage increase/decrease a value of more than 0 must be present (A value of 0 can not be increased or decreased by a percentage amount).
Note, unless otherwise specified the value is rounded to the nearest whole number (e.g. if the current value is 1, and the increase was 10%, there would be no change unless the item being changed was a price or cost, in which case it would become $1.10 for this example).
- The following product settings have more advanced editing options: Price, Sale Price, Wholesale Price, Website Price, and Website Sale Price.
If you choose a percentage increase/decrease, you'll be asked where it should be calculated from and how it should be rounded.
For example, let's say you want all your products to be assigned a margin of 50%, and rounded to the nearest $.50. You would choose 'Percentage Increase' from the Price field and enter '50'. Then you would select the 'Default Cost' from the 'Calculated from' field and then click on the 'Round Up' option from the 'Rounding' drop-down. That will let you enter the amount you want the price to be rounded to.
- Product descriptions can be set in bulk, however it should be noted that it will replace any previously entered description. The following descriptions can be edited in bulk: Short Description, Long Description, Add-to-Cart Description, and Wholesale Description.
It is highly recommended to do this only for products that are very similar, and to individually add to your descriptions anything that would be unique for each separate product.
You can also copy HTML from the Long Description, Add-to-Cart Description, and Wholesale Description from the Source Code area, which allows you to build your descriptions in our content editor and then paste the code into the Bulk Editing tool as shown below.
- Product data for Department, Categories, Taxes, Vendors, Manufacturer, and all Price fields can be set to have whatever data is entered for them removed, if you need. For example, if you run a sale and you've entered Sale Prices for some products, you could use this function to remove the Sale Prices after the sale ends.
To Export items, select the items you want to export, then press the Bulk Actions button, and click Export from the drop-down. That will save a CSV file of your products that you can open and edit using Excel or your preferred spreadsheet program.
Note, the spreadsheet format is the same as the 'Edit Existing Products' spreadsheet from the Bulk area of Products.
Once edited, you can import the spreadsheet pressing the white 'Bulk Actions' button, and selecting 'Import' from the drop-down. That will ask you for the file to upload which you can find on your computer.