Find and Work With Your Products On-Screen
You can get to this part of the system by logging into the system and in our blue Admin Toolbar, click Products > Products.
The main Products page is one of the most powerful parts of the system, and it's an area where you'll be doing a lot of your work. When you first open this page, you will see a list beginning with your most recently added items.
Here are the major features of the page:
- New Product - You can click the New Product button to manually create a new product or to use the Catalog to create a new product. You can also click the drop-list if you want to make a Kit product, or if you want to add a lot of products to your inventory at once by using the Bulk Add from Catalog option.
- Bulk Actions - This area allows you to do several things with products you search for and select in the item list. Full details are below in the section on Bulk Actions.
- Item Search - Search by Title, UPC, SKU, or Manufacturer ID for products if you know specifically what you are searching for. All products with matching info will populate in the item list.
- Filters - You can use Filters to select very specific product attributes. For the full functionality, please see the section below on Filters. Once you have searched for items using the Filters list, an X button appears on the right that will allow you to clear all selected Filters.
- Select All / Select Individual Items - After you search and/or filter for the items you want, if you want to do any Bulk Actions with them, you need to check the box for each item. If you want to check all the boxes at once, or un-check all select boxes, click in the topmost box. The Select All function will do so across multiple pages, if you have that many products in your search or filter results. Once you have selected one or more items, a Clear Selection button will appear that will allow you to remove the check-boxes from all selected items, or it also has a drop-list that lets you View Selected items, which will clear from the page any items that are not selected (see image below).
- Product Options - If a product has different Options, such as colors, sizes, etc., it will have a number in blue in this area. Clicking on the number will open up a list of all of the Options. If any are Deactivated, they will have a line through the text, as pictured above.
- Product Details - This page provides the product Title (which you can click on to open the Edit Product view in a panel), the Price (which shows a range of low to high for Options that have different prices), UPC number, SKU number, and the Quantity in stock (which displays a cumulative total of items across all Locations, if you have multiple locations set up in the system. For products with Options, a total Quantity across all Options is displayed, and you expand the list of Options, and then you can see the Quantity for each one.
- Item Actions - You can either Duplicate an item by opening this drop-list, or you can Delete it. Please note that even deleted products can be searched for (in the Filters area), reopened, and if you Save them, they will become active again.
Bulk Product Actions
To work with your products in bulk without having to use a spreadsheet, here are the basic steps:
- Either Search for the products you want by product ID or keyword, or use the Filters tool to find the products with which you want to work.
- Check the boxes for the products you want, or check the topmost box to Select All.
- Click the Bulk Actions button and choose which action you want to perform.
Using the Filters Tool
The Filters tool is a powerful way to find very specific groupings of products. Here is the full list of product attributes for which you can Filter:
You can filter for multiple attributes at once, for example, if you need to find products in your Sale category that were created after the 15th of the previous month, you can use the Category drop-list to choose the Sale category, then you can enter the Date Created near the bottom, and when you click Search, it will only give you those products created as of that date and after that are in your Sale category. You can clear your Filters by either clicking the X that comes up to the right of the Filters button, or if the Filters panel is open, you can click the Reset button at the bottom.
Print Labels in Bulk
If you need to print labels for a large number of products at once, using the Bulk Action is great, because the system will automatically load all selected products into the Barcode Printing window, with a quantity of 1. You can adjust quantities and then either preview the print job by clicking the Print Preview button, or just click to start the Print.
Editing Products in Bulk
You can quickly and easily apply changes to your selected products with this tool. For example, here is how you can set a Sale Price for a large selection of items.
- First, you could use a Filter search for the category you want, which will load all of those products into the Products window.
- Click the Select All button (the topmost check-box on the left, above your product list), and that would ready all of those items for the bulk change you want.
- Click the Bulk Actions button.
- Click the drop-list for the attribute you want (Sale Price is in the lower section) and click on it. See the image below this section for Bulk Edit Product Options for the full list.
- Click the small drop-list next to Sale Price and set your preference on what type of Sale Price will be applied.
- Set either the Percentage (pictured above) or the Dollar Amount you are setting for the Sale Price adjustment.
- Set what the Sale Price will be Calculated From. You can choose whether it will be based on the Default Cost of the item (if you do this, it's wise to make sure you have Default Cost values saved in the products you're editing or no changes will be made to the Sale Price, note that this is different from the standard Cost values for your products). You can base it on the regular selling Price, or on an existing Sale Price. Again, if there is no Sale Price in place, no changes will be entered for the product.
- Set how Rounding will be handled in the change to your Sale Prices. You can set to have No Rounding, you can Round Up, Round Down, or Round Nearest. In the latter three cases, you can specify if you're rounding in any of those ways to a certain amount of cents. There's an example you can see in the images here of how it can apply, but basically, let's say that your Sale Price edit on an item would have made a resulting Sale Price of $4.77. If you have that set to Round Up and set the amount to $0.05 (5 cents), it would result in a Sale Price of $4.80. If you have it Round Down and set $0.05 (5 cents), it would be $4.75. Or if you want everything to be set to sell for '$x.99', Round Nearest is what you would use with the amount of $0.99 (99 cents), and the Sale Price, in this case, would round to $4.99. It's a good idea to play with this with a few differently priced products to see how the pricing goes in with these different options, just until you get used to how it works.
- Once you have your settings in place, click the Save button.
- You can, if you like, click another product attribute in the drop-list if you want to adjust something else for all of the products selected. A common one in this case would be to add them all to the Sale Price category. In the line item for each of the Pending Changes, on the right there is a small options button (the stack-of-three-dots button, below) that will allow you to either Edit or Delete the change. If no further changes are needed, click the green Update Products button to put your edits in place for all the products. When making edits to large numbers of products, a progress indicator will pop up for you.
Changes cannot be undone, so if you select all items in an entire Department and set them all to have their Availability be for Both website and point of sale, then later realize you need some of them to be POS Only, you would have to find all of those products and change them to that status.
It's a good idea when trying new Bulk Edit changes to try it out first with a single product to make sure it does what you think. Once you're sure of how it will work, applying the same edit to large numbers of products will be safe.
For a full list of detailed changes you can make in this area, please click here.
Here is a list of the different attributes you can adjust:
Bulk Product Import and Export
To Export items, select the items you want to export, then press the Bulk Actions button, and click Export from the drop-down. That will save a CSV file of your products that you can open and edit using Excel or your preferred spreadsheet program.
Note, the spreadsheet format is the same as the 'Edit Existing Products' spreadsheet from the Bulk area of Products.
Once edited, you can import the spreadsheet pressing the white Bulk Actions button, and selecting Import from the drop-down. That will ask you for the file to upload which you can find on your computer.