You can get to this part of the system when you first log in by clicking POS in the blue Admin Toolbar, then clicking Customers. You can also access this module by clicking Website > Customers (this opens the same module). Search for and click on the customer you want to edit, or to start a new one, click the +New Customer button.
The Edit Customer Panel
Any time you're working with Customer information, it will load in the Edit Customer panel. Here are the major functions of the Details tab:
Edit Customer: Details Tab
Much of the information in this area is straightforward and requires no special information here. You will, of course, want to enter the contact information you have for the Customer. As a rule of thumb, getting their name and email is usually sufficient for whatever you might need to do with them. If you are doing service work for them or if they're attending a class of yours, you'll probably also need their phone number.
- Customer Information - Enter general information about the customer. For Customer Notes, any notes you put in this area will pop up on screen whenever you load the Customer into the Register. If you miss it there when it pops up, the Customer Notes will also be accessible by clicking any of the Customer Actions buttons in the upper right of the Register.
- Photo - If you want to add a photo of the customer, you can click on the silhouette graphic and you'll be able to Browse your computer for an image file. This image will display in the Register.
- Customer Stats - The Rain system keeps detailed statistics about all of your customers, and looking in this area can be enlightening about a customer's shopping history.
- Account Balance - If a Customer Owes money to the store or has a Customer Credit, it will display here. If they have a balance they owe, you can click on the Pay button to take the payment into the Register. If you want to follow their recent transactions and see how they have come to have the balance they currently do, you can click the View button (more below). If you want to manually adjust the balance, click Edit. You'll need to put in a Reason for the adjustment. A balance owed will go in as a normal number, for example, 212, but a credit balance needs to be entered as a negative number, such as -212. After you click Update, you must click Save at the bottom of the panel for your changes to take effect. Prior to saving, you may not see the update you just made, so to confirm the changes, you may need to reopen the Edit Customer panel.
When you click the View button, you'll see the full history of the customer's On Account balance, with line items for every change made. You can hover your mouse over the Note icons to see reasons for manual changes.
- Start Transaction - You can click the Start Transaction button to immediately open the Register and automatically load the customer.
- Merge Customers - From time to time you may get duplicate customers in the system. This usually happens due to spelling mistakes or different email addresses being used. To correct this, find the one that has the proper email address and click to open the Edit Customer panel. Click the Merge Customers button at the bottom, and search for the duplicate name. Please note that if there is only one duplicate, you will see only one such name in your search, but if there are multiples, you may need to either Merge or Delete some copies. Once it's complete, there will only be one customer under that name, with all transactions from both.
Edit Customer: Settings Tab
- Reward Program Eligibility - If you do not want to have the Customer receive Reward Points for items they purchase, toggle this setting to Off.
- Reward Points - This field shows the current number of Reward Points the customer has. Please note that this is not their lifetime total; it is just how many they've generated since they earned their most recent Reward Coupon. You can manually adjust this number, if your login permission level allows.
- View Coupons - If you click to View Coupons, the Coupons panel will open, showing the customer's most recent coupons at the bottom. A) You can manually create a Reward Coupon (this is a great way to console a customer whose Reward Coupon may have expired) by clicking the Add Reward Coupon button. B) You can view the transaction in which a Reward Coupon was Issued or Redeemed by clicking on the respective Transaction IDs. C) You can Delete a Reward Coupon, if needed, and D) you can see the Expiration Date for each of your Reward Coupons, if you have them set to expire.
- Rewards History - Clicking the Rewards History button will bring up a panel showing you the full history of all reward points earned in the customer's history with you, with a line item for each transaction and manual edit. You can click on any transaction to see full details, and you can also click to see Notes on manual changes that were made.
- Customer Discount - For employees or other customers who are entitled to a Discount, you can add that percentage here. NOTE: this discount will be added to any other discounts applied in the Register, so be careful about the discounts you apply.
- Accept Checks - By default, all new customers have this setting toggled to ON. You can change that for customers who do not qualify to use personal checks in your store.
- Sales Lead - You can toggle this On if the Customer is a sales prospect for something you sell so you can actively market to them. There is a setting in the main Customers module that allows you to view only your Sales Leads to help you with your marketing.
- Send Notification Text Messages - If you have had us set up the optional Text Messaging service with the Marketing Package, you have the ability to have the system Send Notification Text Messages from parts of the system such as Work Orders, Rent to Own, and Rentals.
- Send Marketing Text Messages - Also a feature of our optional Text Messaging service with the Marketing Package, this function allows you to Send Marketing Text Messages to customers in bulk from the Marketing area of the Rain system.
- Wholesale - If you set a customer as Wholesale, they will use your Wholesale pricing and will not be taxed for their purchases. If you need the same Customer to also be able to purchase at retail pricing, you will need a second entry as a retail customer. Customers cannot purchase both wholesale and retail in the same transaction.
- Inactive - If you set a Customer as Inactive, of course they can still shop with you and they will still function normally in all parts of the system. In the Bulk area of Customers when you download your Customers spreadsheet, you can see which customers have been flagged as Inactive and use that information in your marketing efforts.
- Tax Settings - For non-profit organizations and other customers that qualify to be Tax Exempt, you can set them this way here, and then enter their Tax ID so that all tax exempt transactions they run are properly accounted for in your reporting.
Edit Customer: Marketing Tab
If you have put in an Email Address for the customer, it will be displayed here, along with all Mailing Lists the customer is currently subscribed to. It's important to note that before checking a box to add a Customer to one of your mailing lists (all lists you have created under Marketing > Email Lists will appear here) that you verify with them verbally that it's okay for you to do so. If you just automatically add every customer, it is likely several will flag you as a spammer for receiving unwanted emails from you. The more times that happens, the more likely it is that one of the big email providers (Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.) will begin blocking your emails.
Customer Groups the customer has been added to will also have their boxes checked here. You can create groups for your customers in the POS > Customer Groups tool. This functionality is explained more fully below, but to add a Customer to a Customer Group you've created, check the box for the group of which you would like them to be a part, then click Save at the bottom.
The Marketing Unsubscribes is something you will only see if you have the Marketing Package and if the customer has chosen to unsubscribe from any of those emails. You have the ability, at the request of the customer, to Resubscribe them to marketing emails they have opted out of.
Edit Customer: History Tab
- Transactions - Each Transaction the Customer has done with you will be listed in order with the most recent at the top. You can click on a Transaction ID to open and work with the transaction.
- View Classes Purchased - If you click on the View Classes Purchased button you'll see a list of all class sessions purchased with the most recent at the top.
- View Serial Numbers Purchased - Clicking the View Serial Numbers Purchased button will open a list of all serialized items the customer has purchased from you. If you click on a serial number, it will open a Serialized Item Report, showing the full details of the item, including any Repairs / Work Orders you have done for the item.
- Voided Transactions - The Customer's History is one of two areas in the system where you will still be able to view Voided Transactions. The other area is the Voided Transactions report. Once a transaction has been voided, you can no longer adjust anything or do Refunds from it.
Edit Customer: Layaways Tab
Only the customer's active layaways will display in this view. To view completed ones, you will need to go to POS > Layaways, and click to Show Completed Layaways.
- Column Headers - Your Active Layaways for the customer can be sorted in different ways, if needed by clicking on the Column Headers.
- Layaway ID - Clicking on the Layaway ID will open the Edit Layaway panel to let you view and edit the Layaway as needed. For more information on working with your Layaways, click here.
- Make a Payment - You can click the Pay button to allow the customer to make a payment toward their Layaway purchase. Note that if the customer wants to pay the whole thing off, it is best to click the Layaway ID and click the Pick Up button at the bottom, which will load all remaining charges for the Layaway into the Register.
Edit Customer: Rent to Own Tab
If you use the Point of Sale and the Rent to Own module, you will see a tab in your Edit Customer panel for RTO. By default, it will display the active RTO contracts for the customer, and if your store is in the Music industry, you'll see a column for Student Name. You can open any contract listed by clicking on its ID Number, and you can make payments on any of them needed from that view.