If you like the idea of printing receipts automatically, but don't love the Chrome print dialog box that pops up after a transaction, good news! There is a way to bypass this setting, but it will take a little bit of configuration.
IMPORTANT: This option is best if you only have a single printer connected to the computer you are working on. If you are regularly switching between printers at a station, having that dialog box pop up every time is likely a better option, so we would highly recommend NOT doing this with multiple printers connected.
NOTE: If you need to change it back so that the print dialog box does come up, repeat the first step below, remove everything after the .exe that you added, then Apply. Or you can just open Chrome from the Start menu or the windows Search.
Click here to view a video of how to bypass the Print screen in Chrome: (Please Note: You will need Flash enabled in your browser in order to view the video.)
- Close all Chrome windows that might be open and in the lower left of Windows, click on the Search, just to the right of the Windows button.
- Enter Chrome.exe, and in the results, on the right click Open File Location.
- In the window that pops up, right-click on Chrome and drag and drop it to your Desktop. You'll see a 'Create Link in Desktop' message pop up as you drag, but when you release the mouse, a menu will pop up, and you should click to Create Shortcut Here.
- Right-click on the new Chrome icon and in the pop-up menu, click on Properties.
- In the Target field, click after the .exe", add a space, then enter the text exactly as pictured below. The exact entry after .exe" is: space-hyphen-hyphen-k-i-o-s-k-hyphen-p-r-i-n-t-i-n-g-doublequote. Please note that it needs to have the double-quote at the very end, as pictured below. You can triple-click and copy the line below, click after the .exe", and paste it directly and it will be correct:
- Click Apply. Moving forward, that icon (and ONLY that icon) will open Chrome in Kiosk Printing mode, where it will just print directly to whatever the Default Printer is in your Devices and Printers settings. If you need flexibility to choose a different printer, you can open Chrome from a different shortcut icon, or from your Start menu.
That's it, the print dialog boxes will no longer pop up for you! The way it will work, after you select the checkboxes for the types of receipts that will print, the Print window will briefly flash up on the screen, and a single copy of everything you checked will print out from your default printer.
You can use your old Chrome link to open Chrome without the kiosk print mode if you need the print dialog boxes. It is recommended to rename your new shortcut to something else so you don't get confused between the two. You can rename the shortcut by right-clicking on the icon and in the pop-up list, click Rename.