Using the Calendar module, your events will be presented in a dynamic fashion, allowing your visitors to navigate and view upcoming months, and it will update itself on your web pages automatically after you have set it up as you enter new events. The Calendar module allows you to enter your event data in the Modules section in the Admin Toolbar, and appears on the website in two different ways:
How to Create Your Calendar
You can get to this part of the system by clicking on Website in the blue Admin Toolbar, mousing-over Modules, and then clicking Calendar.
The first part of this process is to create your Categories so you can enter your event information into the Calendar module. Once the event information is in the system, you can add the Calendar to as many pages as you like, and you can have each copy of the Calendar show only the information you want it to show. Here is how to enter your event information:
- After logging into the system and clicking on the word Website in the Admin toolbar, find the Modules button and hover your mouse over it. In the droplist menu, click on Calendar.
- You will need to set up your Categories in the calendar in order to enter events. Click on the New Calendar Category button to add your first Category.
- Enter the Calendar Category Name and click Save.
- Once you have created a Category, it will appear in a list when you go into the Calendar module. You can edit the title of the category by clicking on its pencil icon, and you can delete a category by clicking on the Delete button. All events in a deleted category are also removed from your calendar.
Once you have created your Categories, you can begin creating Events. There are two kinds of events; general Events and Classes. In this article we will not be covering Class data entry. Click here to view the article for the Classes module in the Using Modules section of the Knowledge Base. Here is how to create Events:
- To create a general Event, from the opening screen of your Calendar module, click on the name of the Category in which you want the Event to appear (see image above).
- You will see the Event List for that Category and you will have the option to enter a New Event, New Class, or to Upload Events. Click on New Event to begin creating your first Event. Once you have created an Event, you can delete them from this list by clicking the Delete button to the right. You will always be asked to confirm that you really want to delete the Event, and once it is gone, it will no longer appear on the Calendar.
- After you have clicked the New Event button, you will see a blank version of the Edit Event screen below. The fields in green are required fields and the Event will not save if you leave one of them blank.
- You will need to enter a Title for your event (how you enter it here is how your visitors will see it in the Calendar Preview and on your Full Calendar View).
- It will already be in the Category you started with, but you will also need to enter a Location for the Event.
- Optional fields such as Address and Phone Number are not always necessary, but we highly recommend you always enter full Event descriptions into the Description area so your visitors are fully informed.
- In the Description, you can (and should!) insert an image that goes with the Event if you can get one. Any images you can enter into your Events in this way will add life to your Calendar pages on the site! Use the Insert/Edit Image button (small blue mountain with a sun above) and the Browse Server button to insert your images.
Event Scheduling - In the lower section of the Edit Event screen, enter the date for the Event. If it has multiple dates, enter the first date. Also enter the starting Time for the Event. If it is an all-day Event, enter your opening time. Note: we will be adding end-times to this area in the near future! If the Event is one that repeats on a regular basis, or if it will be held over several days in a row, check the box for Repeat to see your options on how you can have the Event repeat.
- Daily - Use this option if the event will run two or more days in a row.
- Every Week - Use this option if the event will happen on the same day of the week for two or more weeks in a row.
- Every Two Weeks - Use this option if the Event is 'on' one week and 'off' the next.
- Every Month - Use this option if the Event will happen on the same calendar date each month for two or more months (e.g. on the 5th of each month).
- First Sunday of Every Month - Use this option if the Event will be held on the same ordinal day of the month for two or more months (e.g. on the Third Saturday of each month).
- Every Year - Use this option if the Event will happen on the same calendar date annually (e.g. the 25th of December).
Adding Your Calendar Module to a Page
It is very easy to add the Calendar module to a page, and the module is fully automated, so it will display and manage the data that you have entered for your events, and will also update in realtime as you add more. Here is how you add the module to your page:
- After logging into the system, click the Laptop Icon on the left side of the Admin Toolbar and then go to the page where you want your Classes module to display (e.g. your Events page).
- In the upper left corner of the page, just under the Admin Toolbar, hover your cursor over the triangle with the Plus and then click on Add Body Content in the drop list.
- From the list of modules, find Calendar and click the Add button.
You will now see the Calendar Preview on the page, and your visitors will be able to click to view the full Calendar.