You are required by law to have a privacy statement on your website if you do e-commerce. This statement will communicate your practices for how you handle and protect the sensitive information you collect from your shoppers. You should also have on your website all of your policies on things like how you charge for shipping, returns / exchanges / refunds, and what to do with merchandise that gets damaged or lost during shipping.
Create Your Privacy Statement & Policies Page
- Go to Website > Pages and click the +New Web Page button.
- Title your page and add an SEO Title and SEO Description, then Save.
- You'll be taken back to your Pages list, find the new page in the list and click to open it.
- In the upper left corner, hover your mouse over the triangle with the + and in the menu that pops up, click Add Body Content.
- Click the Add button for the Content module, the Content Editor will open.
- Copy and paste your Privacy Statement into the Editor or compose it, and once you're done, click Save.
- Repeat steps 4 - 6 for your Policies.
- Go back to Website > Pages and find your page in the list, then click on the Blue Cloud button on the right to publish the page.
Click here if you want a sample Privacy Statement to use as a starting point. Offered for free by the Better Business Bureau.
Click here if you want a sample Online Terms and Conditions / Policy Statement to use as a starting point. This statement is provided free by RocketLawyer.com.
Link to Your Privacy and Policies Page
We recommend linking to this page in at least three areas:
- Your Navigation menu, in a drop-list under your main online store link.
- The Footer of your website, so the link is at the bottom of every page.
- Your main Online Store page that has your top-level Categories listed.