Here are some great things to do to improve your use of the Point of Sale system:
- Utilize User PIN Codes - While it may be a slight annoyance to have to enter your PIN code for each new transaction, the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience. With this feature on, clerk names are logged on all transactions, and that puts accountability in place for you. Train your team to practice security: if you step away, click the Clerk name locking the screen. If you use this feature, make sure to create good PIN codes: nobody, including you or your managers, should use codes such as 0000 or 1234, or similar, intuitive numbers. Make codes for your employees, and make them random. To activate this feature, go to Settings > POS Settings, and in the left column, you will see where you can activate User PINs. Save at the bottom when done.
- Use Rewards - Are you using the Rewards program? If so, do you feel like you're getting the most out of it? All by itself, the Rewards program is pretty good, but if you put effort into it and train your team to do so as well, you can start building serious loyalty. Train your clerks to talk about it, have them focus on customer experience and always be asking themselves, "If I was shopping here, what would make my experience better?" You can also offer bonus rewards as a marketing strategy, for example, if you have some items you need to sell, offer double reward points, and manually give customers extra rewards after purchasing. You can activate and configure your Rewards by going to Settings > POS Settings > Customer. After you're finished with the settings, scroll to the bottom and click Save.
- Use Customer Notes / Transaction Notes - Are you noting everything properly? Sometimes taking a few seconds to note something can save hours of frustration later if you forget the details. Train your team to note everything: Use Customer notes to details special situations or circumstances, family members, etc. Use Transaction notes to record circumstances your accountant will need to understand at the end of the month. Adopting this as your regular process will help with special situations so everyone will know what is needed. Customer notes can be added by clicking to view the customer details and scrolling down to the Other section and entering notes in the Till Alert area. You can add notes to a transaction by clicking the Notes link to the right of the main item search field.
- Make the Best Use of Coupons - If you are not already using coupons for promotions, you should take advantage. They are flexible and can add tremendous value to sale events you run. For more information on how to set up your Coupons, click here. Maximize the effectiveness of your coupons by sending out email blasts with the coupon code, feature the code in Facebook and other social media posts, and instruct your team to offer the code to everyone so they won't miss out! To create a Coupon, go to Products > Coupons and once you're finished, click Save at the bottom.
- Work in Multiple Browser Tabs - Ever feel like you're having to do way too many clicks just to get information when you're in the middle of something? You should be working in multiple browser tabs! It's much easier to click an open tab that's already got your Customers or your Products or whatever it is you find yourself looking up throughout your day. Keep several tabs open at once; one for your Register, and others for the parts of the system you need most, and that way you don't have to leave your transaction and possibly have to recreate it after you look up that critical piece of information. To open a system link in at new tab, hold down Ctrl and click on the link, or right-click and choose Open in New Tab from the popup menu.