The Rain system allows you to manage common Shift Change activities, such as:
- Open and Close your shifts.
- Cash counts and other tender in the Till drawer when changing shifts.
- A Cash Calculator to help you count bills and coins to the proper total amount.
- Pay Outs and Pay Ins from the cash drawer.
- View a Shift Report with important data.
You can get to this part of the system from the Register by clicking the button next to the Till name.
Enabling Shift Management
There are two steps you need to do to enable Shift Management for your Point of Sale system:
- In the blue Admin Toolbar, on the far right, click on the Gear Button, then open Beta Features. Find Enable Shift Management in the list and click it to Yes, then scroll to the bottom of the screen and click to Save the setting.
- After the Beta Feature is enabled, once again click on the Gear Button, then click Settings > POS Settings, and in the lower right of the General tab, check the box to Enable Shift Management. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click to Save that setting, then you're ready to go!
Shift Management in the Register
You access all functions of Shift Management from the Register using this button next to the Till name, as pictured below.
Pay In / Payout
If you need to pull cash out of the drawer for whatever reason, the Pay In / Payout tool will let you account for it reliably. Click the button next to the Till name on the right side of your Register and then click on Pay In / Payout. This panel will open, with Payout highlighted.
Enter the amount and the Notes for Pay In or Payout, and then click Confirm Amount. The system will generate a Payout Receipt or a Pay In Receipt to document the event. You can click to Print if you need a hard copy.
Closing a Shift
If you click to Close Shift from the Shift Management menu, the Close Shift panel will open.
As you count your tender when closing out the cash drawer, the amounts for each type are listed in the Payment Totals section. Enter your Actual Count for each to double check. Any differences in the count will display Variance. If you need to track down a Variance amount, you can go back to the Shift Management menu (next to the Till name) and look at the Shift Report. More info on that below.
When you click to Close Shift, the system will require confirmation, and then will print out the key details from the Shift Report to your receipt printer. Here is an example of a Close Shift ticket printout.
The Cash Calculator
There is also a Cash Calculator tool to help you break down bills and coins so they add up to the Float you are carrying forward for the next shift. The Float is the amount of cash the next shift will be starting with IF you carry that amount over from the current drawer. Some stores just have individual drawers with pre-counted cash for new shifts to use, so if that is your situation, you won't need the Float field.
The Cash Calculator allows you to work with different types of cash to make sure you're counting the right amounts of each to add up to your desired total.
The Shift Report
You can access your Shift Report by clicking on the Shift Management button next to the Till name on the right side of your Register and then clicking on Shift Report.
If you click to View More at the bottom of the Summary, you will see details about Cash, Sales Revenue, Non-Sales Receipts, a breakdown of Tender Types and Amounts, and a breakdown of Credit Types and Amounts, which will show you the major credit cards and amounts spent using each. You can also click to Print a hard copy to your receipt printer, if needed.
Further down the report, each tender type is broken down, with links to the transactions and amounts used in each one. This section is very useful for tracking down missing amounts of tender if your drawer count is off for whatever reason.