Running a Trade-In in the Register
The Rain system allows you to accept a Trade-In item, creating a new product for it if needed, and exchange it for another item in a process that is streamlined to save you time. Watch this video demo and read the full details below.
You can process a Trade-In by going to POS > Register, or you can just click on the Register button on the far left of the blue Admin Toolbar.
Processing a Trade-In
1) Go to the Register, as described above.
2) Load the Customer at the top, or create a new Customer for the person doing the Trade-In.
3) Click the Trade In button, as pictured above.
4) The New Trade-In panel will pop up on the right and will list the customer's information. If you need to save the customer's Driver License Number, there is a field where you can enter it (if it's already saved, it will be listed automatically). If you need to upload a saved photo of the driver license, you can click the Image Upload button to do so. Please Note: Some state and/or municipal districts do not allow businesses to save images of driver's licenses, so you should check with your Chamber of Commerce to be sure it's okay. You can also add Notes, if needed.
5) Add the Item the customer is trading in. You can either search for an existing item, if it is already saved in the system, or you can click the Plus button on the right to create a new product. Only one item can be listed on the Trade-In, so if other items are being traded-in, you will need to reproduce these steps for each one.
6) If you are creating a new product, we have streamlined the creation process so that only key details are required, to save you time at the Register. Add the Product Title, Department is optional. If it is a serialized item, toggle Track Serial Number to ON. If you are not yet ready to set the selling Price, you can leave it blank for now. After you complete the Trade-In, you can open the product in the normal way and add full details. Click the Save Product button when you're done.
7) Once you have the item loaded, you'll see the following options. If the item was already saved in the system with an image, it will display next to the Title. You can enter the Serial Number (for non-serialized items, a Quantity field will display for how many of the items are being traded in). Set the Condition, if appropriate. If you need to start a Work Order for the item, you can select the service it needs from the Work Order drop-list, and once this Trade-In is saved, the Work Order will automatically be created for you. Finally, enter the Trade-In Value you are paying for the item.
8) Once everything is in place, click the Create Trade-In button at the bottom, and the Trade-In will load in the Register as pictured below.
9) Add the item the customer is trading for, for example, the saxophone listed above. The Register will take into account the trade laws of your state regarding Trade-In Credit and the appropriate Tax that will be applied.
10) Complete the transaction in the normal way, either collecting the funds from the customer, or paying out the difference, depending on the value of the Trade-In. Please note that Trade-In Credits are now listed in the End of Day Summary for you.
11) Once you are free, go to Products > Products, find the new Trade-In product, and click on it to finish adding necessary information and photos.
12) If the item needs work, go to POS > Work Orders and find the Work Order created for the item so you can track your service work on it.
That's it! You're all set