The Rain system allows you to check in inventory from your consignment sellers, facilitates the sales and inventory management, and allows you to track consignment payouts. Take a look at the video below for an overview of the functionality. For full details on the process, see the steps below.
Configuring Your Consignments
You can process a Trade-In by going to the Gear Button > Settings > POS Settings > Consignment.
You can set your Default Net to Consignor percentage here, and when receiving a consignment item from a seller you can adjust the default, if needed.
You will also need to set up your Contract Template(s), if you plan to use the system-generated contracts. Click on Configure to to see the setup panel, as pictured below:
You can paste text for a contract in here, adjust terms to fit a specific contract type, and save the template. You can also use the standard automated data fields, as pictured above in red, to auto-fill items into the contract by pulling them from the Customer data. Save as many templates as you need!
If you prefer to upload pre-printed contracts at signing, the system can facilitate that as well.
Please Note: For the automated data fields in red, many more will be added in the near future.
Receiving Consignment Inventory
1) Go to the Register, either by clicking the Register button on the far left of the blue Admin Toolbar, or by going to POS > Register.
2) Load the Consignment Seller as the Customer at the top, or create a new Customer for the seller.
3) Click any of the Customer Action buttons on the right, as pictured above.
4) The Customer Actions panel will pop up on the right. You'll see Consignment in the left column near the bottom. Click the Plus Button.
5) The New Consignment Contract Details panel will open and will list the customer's information at the top. For now, leave the Contract section alone and go to the Items area.
6) Add the Item(s) you are receiving from the seller. You can either search for an existing item, if it is already saved in the system, or you can click the Plus button on the right to create a new product. You can add as many items as you need.
7) If you are creating a new product, we have streamlined the creation process so that only key details are required, to save you time at the Register. Add the Product Title, Department is optional. If the item has multiple styles, such as colors and sizes, you can create those as well. If it is a serialized item, toggle Track Serial Number to ON (see example below). You can set the Condition for the item from the drop-list. If you are not yet ready to set the selling Price, you can leave it blank for now. After you complete the receiving process, you can open the product in the normal way and add full details. Click the Save Product button when you're done.
8) Once you have the item loaded, you'll see the following options. If the item was already saved in the system with an image, it will display next to the Title. You can enter the Serial Number (for non-serialized items, a Quantity field will display for how many of the items are being traded in). If you need to start a Work Order for the item, you can select the service it needs from the Work Order drop-list, and once this Trade-In is saved, the Work Order will automatically be created for you. You have the option to set a Minimum Price the seller would be willing to accept if the item isn't selling and if you need some negotiation room for customers.
9) In the Contract section (see above), you can set your Net to Consignor percentage, add Notes, and select a Contract Template from those you have saved. Click the drop-list for Upload Signed and you can choose to either Print the Contract, Email a Digital Signature, Collect a Signature on Terminal (this requires Worldpay integration and the Verifone MX-915 terminal), or No Signature. Once you have set that preference, you can click the Upload Signed button to upload the contract file and save it to the seller's account.
10) Once everything is in place, click the Create Consignment at the bottom, and the inventory will go into stock. If the item(s) are in active Work Orders, they will be listed in Reserved status, and will not be available for sale until their Work Orders are completed.
Managing Consignments and Paying Sellers
You have two key resources for working with your Consignments: The Consignment Report, and the Consignment Module.
The Consignment Report
This report can look at whatever date range and contract status you might need, and gives you a financial summary of how your consignments are performing for your sales. You can Export the data to a CSV (universal spreadsheet file) as needed. This report is found under the main Reports menu as soon as Consignment functionality is activated.
The Consignment Module
The Consignment module can be found under POS > Consignment and will be your primary tool for managing and paying out on your consignment sales. Each item is given its own line, so for example, lines two and three above have the same Contract ID number, so they were received in the same Consignment 'batch', but in the module they are each listed separately so the items can be worked with individually for sale. On the far right, if you click the option button at the end of a line item, you have the ability to Print a Barcode Label or Return the Item to the Consignor. You can filter the list you see at the top by Date Range, Consignment Status, and Store Location (if you have multiple Locations in the Rain system). Also, each line-item has a Check-Box on the far left, allowing you to do bulk actions, such as printing barcode labels.
Selling Items and Paying Out
You will sell consignment items through your point of sale register and your website shopping cart in the normal way, and as often as you need, you can open the Consignment Module and click the Pay Sold button. When you do, the Pay Consignors panel will open and will look something like this:
Each consignor's items that have sold and have not yet been paid out will be listed. You can see the Due to Consignor amounts for each seller. The system does not print checks to pay the consignors, you will need to do that manually using the amounts listed here, but once you have done so, you can toggle the Mark as Paid to Yes and those items will be marked as Paid.
That's it! You're all set